he Church was built of local red sandstone and Thorverton stone in the early part of the fifteenth century with the north aisle added probably in the sixteenth century The arcade of four bays is made of Beer stone. There would have been a wooden Saxon church on this site in the tenth century which was burnt during the invasion by the Danes in AD1001.
In the nineteenth century the church was in a very poor state and restoration work was started. The chancel was rebuilt, the nave, aisle and tower restored. There was new flooring, roof repairs, a vestry and porch. Stairs to the rood were discovered. This work was completed in 1880. In 1981 the floor in the Sanctuary was lowered to enable the altar table to be brought forward as west facing and the floor level in the chancel was raised.
The tower is 52 feet high and from its embattlements there is a wonderful view of the Exe estuary. St Michael is the patron saint of sailors and fishermen and the church would have served as a landmark.
The font is the oldest feature in the church with its Saxon base and would probably have been in the earlier wooden building. The screen is a fine example of fifteenth century work, this was skilfully restored in 1880. The pulpit is at least the same age as the screen but could be earlier.
Apart from a small area of window all the stained glass is modern. The wagon roof dates from the fifteenth century. The original beams remain and the carved wooden bosses are worthy of further study.
Until the nineteenth century there were four bells, in 1894 when the second of that ring was recast, two new ones were added to augment the ring to six, all by John Warner and Sons of London. In 1953 a major restoration of the bells was carried out by John Taylor & Co of Loughborough, the bells were completely rehung with a new frame constructed to hold eight bells. Augmentation to eight bells finally took place in 1996 and was carried out by Nicholson Engineering of Bridport. This was made possible by the generosity of one of our parishoners and her family as a memorial to her husband, the new bells were called 'Faith' and 'Hope'. At the same time the old third bell which was cracked was welded by Soundweld of Lode near Cambridge and the remaining completely overhauled.